“Famous in the Mauritian cuisine and served with rice, some sprinkle of fried onions and parsley then the creamy sauce of the Chicken with prunes gets even more scrumptious”.
This recipe is really undemanding interms of spices and can instantly change the usual taste of chicken with prunes and cooking cream. Let me take you over the so simple requiring ingredients.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- 2 large yellow onions, crushed into a paste
- 1 large red onion, sliced and fried
- 8 tomatoes, crushed into a paste
- 2 green whole chillies
- 2 tsp of cumin powder
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 15cl of water
- Vegetable oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 10 pieces of Chicken (you can use chicken breasts and drumsticks)
- 20 pieces of prunes (quantity will be based as per your preferences)
- 6 large tsps of cooking cream, mixed in 10cl of water (I have used Nestle cooking cream, you can use anything you prefer)
- 2 tsp of turmeric powder
1) Marinate the chicken pieces with salt, pepper and turmeric powder.
2) Heat a pan with vegetable oil, once ready add the cumin powder, yellow onions paste and tomato paste. Let simmer for 2minutes on medium-high heat.
3) Add the green chillies and cinnamon sticks. Allow to cook for 1 minute, then pour the 15cl of water. Allow to simmer for 4 minutes on medium heat.
4) Add to the sauce, the chicken pieces and half of the fried red onion slices goes in for 20 minutes with lid on (constantly mix the chicken with the sauce within the 20minutes).
5) The cooking cream mixed with 10cl of water is ready to blend in with the chicken and sauce for another 15 minutes on medium heat, lid on.
6) The sauce smells yummy now, add the prunes and cook for 10 minutes on low heat, lid on.
Voila foodies, food is ready! Sprinkle some fresh parsley and the remaining fried onions. Get your rice ready on your plate and bon appétit.