A typical dish popular in the Mauritius Cuisine, this recipe can also be substituted with chicken and cheese instead with potatoes.
- 1 cup of self-rising flour
- 2 large potatoes, finely cut into round slices
- 1 egg (Optional)
- 1 tbsp of onion paste
- 1 tbsp of grated cheddar cheese (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp of paprika powder
- 2 tsp of yellow food coloring powder
- a pinchful of thyme leaves
- coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 15 cl of water
- 2 tsp of salt and pepper (Quantity depends based as per your preferences)
- Vegetable oil
For the potatoes:
1. Add salt and pepper, 2 tsps of yellow food coloring into the potatoes.
2. Preheat a deep frying pan with vegetable oil and add the potatoes. Allow them to fry for 5 minutes.
For the Flour paste:
1. In a large bowl, add the flour, egg and water. Mix well together with the help of a spatula.
2. Add the onion paste, cheddar cheese, paprika powder, 1 tsp yellow food coloring powder, thyme leaves, coriander and salt. Combine everything together.
3. Dip each potato slice into the batter and add gently in hot oil. Continue doing this for 6-7 slices while frying for each batches. Fry till golden and crisp on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Yayy done 🙂 so easy. Serve with mint chutney or chilli sauce.