Cooler days call for warming soup and with this winter, we need a soup packed with great ingredients and flavors. In Mauritius, Chinese soups are often accompanied with plenty of ingredients, now I know there are various types of chinese soups.
This recipe is simply my version of cooking a fabulous bowl of Mauritius Chinese Soup with rice vermicelli (Meefoon). I know chinese soups often involve Chicken carcass but I have chosen to skip that part, but you can choose to use chicken stock as well. When I head into any Chinese restaurants, the soup is a must as a starter, filled in a small bowl. At home, this recipe has a great accompaniment and in many other Mauritius cuisines and that amazing accompaniment is Mauritius Tomato and Chilli Chutney “Chatini Pomme d’amour“. Pour 2 to 3 spoons of that chutney into the Chinese Soup and the taste goes beyond heaven 🙂
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- 1 packet of Meefoon (Rice Vermicelli), soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 large steamed Teokon/Tofu, cut into pieces of cubes.
- 15-20 pieces of Fish balls, soaked in water 30 minutes prior to cooking preparations
- 2 bunch of bredes Tompouce (Pak-Choy leaves and stem), washed and soaked into water
- 2 small can of Corn (425 grams), cut into your desired shapes
- 10 pieces of whole chinese black Mushrooms Shiitake, soaked in water overnight and cut into slices
- 15 pieces of black cloud ear Mushrooms (optional), soaked in water overnight or 4 hours prior to cooking preparations
- 4 eggs
- 8 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tbsp of oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp of mushrooms flavoured soy sauce
- 1 tsp of soy sauce
- 2 Maggi cubes
- 3 litres of water (Optional – you can also use Chicken Stock instead of water)
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil (Quantity based as per your preferences)
- Salt and pepper
1. In a small bowl, mix all the sauces with 5cl of water and 1 tsp of grated garlic. Allow to rest.
2. Preheat a bottomed pot with vegetable oil and add 1 tsp of grated garlic on medium heat. Once the garlic starts sizzling, add the black mushrooms siitake and mix well for 2 minutes simply to add flavor to the mushrooms.
3. After 2 minutes, remove the mushrooms and add the remaining grated garlic, 3 litres of water or (chicken stock if you are not using water) alongside the soaked meefoon (rice vermicelli) and black cloud ear mushrooms. Pour the mixed sauces and cook for 5 minutes, lid half covered.
4. Add the fish balls and corns. Cook for another 3 minutes.
5. The bredes tompouce (pak-choy leaves and stem) and steamed Teokon/Tofu pieces go into the pot 2 minutes before the soup is fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper (quantity based as per your preferences). Stove off and crack-open each eggs one by one into the hot water soup then cover the lid.
A typical dish popular in the Mauritius Cuisine, this recipe can also be substituted with chicken and cheese instead with potatoes.
- 1 cup of self-rising flour
- 2 large potatoes, finely cut into round slices
- 1 egg (Optional)
- 1 tbsp of onion paste
- 1 tbsp of grated cheddar cheese (Optional)
- 1/2 tsp of paprika powder
- 2 tsp of yellow food coloring powder
- a pinchful of thyme leaves
- coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 15 cl of water
- 2 tsp of salt and pepper (Quantity depends based as per your preferences)
- Vegetable oil
For the potatoes:
1. Add salt and pepper, 2 tsps of yellow food coloring into the potatoes.
2. Preheat a deep frying pan with vegetable oil and add the potatoes. Allow them to fry for 5 minutes.
For the Flour paste:
1. In a large bowl, add the flour, egg and water. Mix well together with the help of a spatula.
2. Add the onion paste, cheddar cheese, paprika powder, 1 tsp yellow food coloring powder, thyme leaves, coriander and salt. Combine everything together.
3. Dip each potato slice into the batter and add gently in hot oil. Continue doing this for 6-7 slices while frying for each batches. Fry till golden and crisp on medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
Yayy done 🙂 so easy. Serve with mint chutney or chilli sauce.
A so easy recipe, can be served as a healthy sauce with so many dishes, such as roasted chicken, salmon and many more. In the little island Mauritius here, this sauce is accompanied with Mauritian Chicken Briani 🙂 If you have a stomach burns due to too much spices like me, then this sauce is best in reducing those risks since it contain dairy product Yoghurt. Plus lemon being a good fruit aids digestion and removes toxins. Mint helps digestion and aids stomach pains as well.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- 1 Yoghurt (I use Yoplait sans sucre – Yoplait without sugar)
- 15 fresh Mint leaves, crushed into a paste
- 1/2 tsp of lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Blend everything together into a mixer. Season with salt and pepper to your desired taste.
The beach burgers have come to the shore, whispering crunchy waves and flavourful relish.
You are heading to the beach to relax and swim but you need a delicious crunchy light meal. This Chicken Beach Burger is the best you can make without having to stop at a drive-thru because for a quick-easy-healthy meal, patties are not the ideal option. I use chicken breast and the taste is beyond excellent. Make your beach adventure more flavourful with this recipe.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
For the Chicken:
- 2 pieces of chicken breasts
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp of corn flour
- 2 tbsp of bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp of garlic and ginger paste
- 1 tsp of paprika powder
- 1 tsp of oregano powder
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
For the Burger:
- 2 Burger buns
- 2 pieces of Cheddar Burger cheese
- Slices of tomatoes
- Lettuce leaves
- Slices of pineapples
Preparations for the Chicken:
1) Season the chicken breasts with garlic and ginger paste, paprika, oregano and cinnamon powder, salt and pepper. Let them rest covered for atleast 30mins or you can coat them in the corn flour and bread crumbs directly after seasoning. I prefer to season mine 30mins prior before coating to encure that the chicken blends perfectly well with the seasoning.
2) Preheat your skillet with vegetable oil. In the meanwhile, dip the chicken breasts into the eggs. Mix together the corn flour and bread crumbs. Coat the chicken breasts into the mixture and shake off any excess before adding into the hot oil.
3) Cook the chicken breasts for 8mins on each side.
Preparations for the Burger:
1) Layer each buns with mayonnaise (Optional). Add the lettuce leaves, slices of tomatoes on the bottom. Then add the chicken breasts, the cheese on top and the slices of pineapples. You can choose to add some lettuce leaves on top as well again.
Chicken Beach Burger is done 🙂 You can serve with french fries or wedges.