We all love Spaghetti Bolognese, topped on with parsley leaves and parmeasan cheese. It is a quick dish, with each bite filled with delicious flavours, perfect during the week after a long tired day at work or as a slow cooked meal during the week-end for lunch or dinner. The sauce is thick, with the chicken balls and mussels, the taste becomes rich and comforting.
I have used chicken, you can substitute with beef and shrimps by using the same ingredients and process for the chicken balls in the first list. Lobster is also a combo for this dish. I have used tomato and chilli chutney to accompany this dish because amongst many Mauritius families it is a tradition to drizzle this chutney on pasta dishes.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
For the chicken balls:
- 2 chicken breasts, crushed in blender
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp tikka powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic paste
- Pinch of honey drizzle
- Vegetable oil
For the Bolognese sauce:
- 500g Spaghetti, cooked
- 20 mussels
- 2 carrots, finely minced
- 3 celery sticks, finely minced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Panzani Mushroom sauce (optional)
- Thyme leaves
- Celery leaves
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika powder
- 15cl water
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Marinate the crushed chicken with the spices in the first list. Set aside for 30 minutes.Scoop out chicken with a spoon to evenly size each balls. Dip each chicken balls into breadcrumbs. Meanwhile preheat your pan with vegetable oil and deep fry chicken for 4-5 minutes on medium heat, constantly keep stirring.
2.Preheat your pan with oilve oil over medium heat. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic paste, allow to cook until onions become translucent in colour. Pour the can tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, Panzani mushroom sauce, water, thyme and celery leaves, dried oregano and paprika powder. Cook for 3 minutes, lid covered on medium heat.
3. Season with salt and pepper. The chicken balls go into the sauce for another 2 minutes, lid covered.
4. Scrub the shells of the mussels, clean and rinse well. Soak the mussels into water. The mussels go into the sauce. Make sure they are covered into the sauce. Simmer for another 5 minutes. Get rid of the closed mussels. Garnish parsley leaves, parmeasan cheese on top and serve with tomato and chilli chutney.