Mauritius Bouillon Poisson (Fish Stew), the preferred traditional seafood dish in our little tropical island. Always accompanied with rice and chatini coco (coconut chutney). Cooked in so many kitchens in Mauritius 🙂 The nostalgic moment of fishing fresh fishes from the beach with the family returns back when the smell of that delicious bouillon (stew) is spread in the kitchen.
The best medicine in a bowl. Bredes Mouroum (Moringa leaves) have many health benefits, they can cure and prevent diseases such as diabetes, heart diseases, anemia, digestive disorders, skin, respiratory and many more diseases.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
- 6-7 small whole parrot fishes
- Bunch of bredes mouroum (Moringa leaves)
- 1.5 Litre – 2 Litre of water
- Parsley leaves
- 1 tsp of vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp of lime juice
- 1 cup flour
- 6-8 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 large onions, cut into chunks
- 4 tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 4 large tbsp can tomato puree
- 1 branch curry leaves (15 curry leaves)
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves
For the fishes:
- Mix into a bowl the vinegar, lime juice and cinnamon powder, add the fishes into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another bowl, coat into flour the fishes. Shake off any excess.
- Meanwhile in a frying pan, add vegetable oil and fry the fishes for around 8-10 minutes until golden brown in color.
For the spices:
- Blend all the ingredients into the list of spices.
- In a large bottomed pot, preheat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil and pour the blended spices into the pot. Let it cook on medium heat for 7 -8 minutes, lid covered on.
- Pour the water into the pot, combine well with the spices. Allow them to simmer for another 5 minutes, lid covered on.
- Add the cooked fishes into the pot and cover the lid for 5 minutes.
- The bredes mouroum or moringa leaves go in for 1 -2 minutes. Stove off.
- Garnish on top with parsley leaves. You can serve with rice and Mauritius Chatini coco (Coconut Chutney).