Sweet and sour my favorite Chinese-Asian dish! This recipe is filled with abundant flavors and the sweet and sour sauce define the hit of this dish. Sweet and sour’s cooking method has been adapted into different ways based as per different countries and cultures across the world, but still we call it SWEET AND SOUR!
I have learnt this recipe from my family and I am happy to share a restaurant-style Fish Sweet and Sour recipe, which undoubtedly you can substitute with chicken and prawns. I never buy already prepared Sweet and Sour sauce stocked in jar in the supermarkets. I prefer making my own sauce and I am sure this is a dish you can always make when you are having guests at home or even for a quick dinner meal.
In Mauritius this dish is served with rice, bread and even fried rice.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Ingredients to marinade the fish:
- 5-6 pieces of fish fillets, cut into large pieces
- 1/2 cup Corn flour
- 1 tbsp of Ginger and Garlic paste
- Salt and Pepper
Ingredients for the Sweet & Sour sauce:
- 4 tbsp Plum Sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 1/2 mug of Water
- 1 tbsp Vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp of Corn flour
- 2 Bell Peppers, cut into chunks or long strips, sauteed
- 2 Carrots, cut into your preferred shape, sauteed
- 1/2 of a Pineapple, cut into chunks
- 1 large Onion, cut into half-moon shapes
- 1 small bunch of Spring Onions, cut into your preferred shape
- 1 bunch of Parsley, roughly chopped
1. Marinade the fish pieces with ginger and garlic, salt and pepper and toss the slices into the corn flour, gently shake off any excess and set aside. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients for the Sweet & Sour sauce together.
2. Heat a non-stick pan with vegetable oil and deep-fry the fish pieces.
3. On medium-low heat, add the ingredients for the Sweet & Sour sauce and whisk constantly and allow to simmer for 7 minutes until sauce has slightly thickened to your desired consistency. Add the pineapple chunks, onions, fried carrots and bell peppers into the sauce for 2 to 3 minutes, lid covered. Season with salt and pepper and combine.
4. Stove off and garnish on top with spring onions and parsley. Serve with rice or bread and green chili & lemon paste.